Samuel requested a tiramisu so I made this cake as a present for his birthday. Tiramisu is literally means 'pick me up' in Italian, usually made up of ladyfingers n we dip in coffee, layered by cream. I don't usually make the same cake for second time, but i did:/ I slightly changed the original recipe to less sugar and used different alcohol.
Ingredients(8" round cake pan):
40g sugar(for egg yolks)
40g sugar(for egg whites)
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1 tsp melted butter
250g Mascarpone cheese
250ml whipping cream
4 Egg yolks
4 Egg whites
gelatine solution - 11/2 tsp gelatin powder+3 tbsp water
2 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp boiling water
4 tbsp tia maria
1. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
2. In another large bowl, whisk egg whites and sugar until stiff. Gradually fold into yolk mixture.
3. Stir in melted butter then fold in sifted flour.
5. Pipe it in 5 cm lady fingers with pipping bag. (I usually just pour batter in a cake ring but wanna try something different this time.)
6. Bake at 200C for 10 minutes.
1. Cream egg yolks and 2tbsp of icing sugar.
2. Beat in mascarpone cheese and vanila essence until fluffy. Beat in gelatin solution. Set aside
3. Whisk egg whites with 2 tbsp of icing sugar until stiff, fold into mascarpone mix gently.
4. Whisk whpping cream until stiff, fold into (3)
5. Place lady fingers into the cake tin, brush with coffee solution then pour the cheese mixture over the lady fingers
6. Repeat the same step. Chill for at least 4 hours, unmould and dust with cocoa powder to serve.
Green tea tiramisu - recipe