Happy Chinese New Year! It’s the year of rabbit, since the Chinese follow the Lunar calendar, Chinese New Year falls on a different date each year on the Western calendar. This year, it is on February 3, 2011.
Rice cake年糕 is a tradition food to eat in chinese new year, ating nian gao has the symbolism of raising oneself higher in each coming year. I tried out three different recipe and found the easiest one tastes the best.
Glutinous rice flour 200g
Chinese brown candy/pian tang/peen tong 125g
1. Prepare the wok for steaming.
2. In a bowl, mix the boiling water and the sugar, stirring to dissolve.
3. Place the glutinous rice flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and stir in the sugar and water mixture.
4. Grease the container with vegetable oil and pour the mixture in.
5. Steam the cake over medium-high to high heat for 1 hour. Remove it from the heat and cool.